Gogoi seeks Modi`s intervention to resolve border dispute
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Saturday urged Prime Minister Narendra Modi to personally intervene in restoring peace at violence affected Uriamghat near Assam-Nagaland border which led to the death of 11 persons.
Gogoi, in a letter to the Prime Minister, requested him for additional ten companies of CRPF personnel in the area for rapid reinforcement of security along with setting up of security pickets in the affected villages so that violence does not spread to other areas.
The Chief Minister alleged that CRPF personnel deployed in the disputed area had failed miserably in protecting the poor villagers of Assam.
"The personnel deployed should be directed to take stern action proactively against the miscreants/extremists in an unbiased manner," he said in the letter.
There would not have been shocking loss of life and property had the neutral force been "prompt, proactive and unbiased," in handling the situation, Gogoi said.
Gogoi said that he had also taken up the matter with the Union Home Minister and was closely monitoring the situation.
"We are extending full cooperation to the neutral force and are in continuous touch with the Government of Nagaland for controlling the situation," he said.
The Chief Minister said the area affected by the latest violence falls in the `B` sector of the Disputed Area Belt (DAB) and was located within the constitutional boundary of Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!