Guwahati molestation: Key accused Amar Jyoti Kalita caught on CCTV
Kolkata: Nearly a fortnight after a teenage girl was molested by a mob outside a bar in Guwahati, Amar Jyoti Kalita, the absconding main accused in the shocking case, has been caught on camera in Howrah.
Reports, Monday, claimed that CCTV footage of Kalita was recorded three days back in Howrah and the Assam Police are now likely to announce a cash reward for any information leading to his arrest.
The CCTV footage tracing Kalita in Howrah has contradicted Assam Police’s theory that he had fled to Odisha in the aftermath of the incident and from there he fled to Mumbai.
Kalita is said to be a close friend of the News Live TV reporter Gaurav Jyoti Neog, who filmed the molestation video on July 9. Neog was also arrested by Assam Police in wake of allegations that he orchestrated the molestation of the girl to boost the TRP of his news channel.
Neog has been booked under 11 counts including intention to insult the modesty of a woman, obscene act and disturbing public tranquility.
The Editor of News Live, Atanu Bhuyan also resigned from his job later.
The police have so far arrested 11 people in the case. The unedited footage of the incident was also sent for tests.
The molestation incident, which shocked and shamed the entire nation, took place on July 9. Following a public outcry over the incident, media and the social activists and police swung into action to ensure justice for the victim and action against the beasts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday