Maoists a big problem: Tarun Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Tuesday said the presence of Maoists in the state was a "big problem" and promised measures to tackle it.
"Although militancy is on the wane of late, which is a positive sign, Maoists are causing a big problem. However, the government is determined to tackle it," Gogoi told reporters here.
Gogoi said the matter had been taken up with the Centre which was convinced of the seriousness of the threat.
"All steps will be taken to contain their activity," he promised.
Asked about last year`s clash between illegal immigrants and Bodos in lower Assam, particularly in the areas under the Bodoland Territorial Autonomous District, the chief minister admitted that there were "certain problems".
"Those have to be sorted out to maintain peace in the area," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India