Noisy scenes in Assam assembly, AIUDF MLAs expelled
Guwahati: All 18 members of opposition AIUDF were on Monday expelled from Assam Assembly on the opening day of the monsoon session by Speaker Pranab Kumar Gogoi amidst noisy scenes.
During Question Hour, Sherman Ali Ahmed of AIUDF insisted on clarifications from the government on `D` (doubtful) voters issue and asserted that they were being harassed in the name of checking their citizenship.
The reply to his question was given by Minister Rockybul Hussain on behalf of the Chief Minister, who is in charge of the home ministry, but Ahmed insisted on asking more questions.
When he did not take his seat even after being repeatedly asked to do so, the Speaker expelled him for the day.
Ahmed, however, refused to go out and all the other members of his party also joined him in claiming that the human rights of the affected `D` voters were being violated by not allowing the MLA to discuss their issue in the Assembly.
As the AIUDF MLAs kept shouting in protest and nothing could be heard in the din, Gogoi expelled all of them for the day.
When they did not leave and continued to shout, the Speaker adjourned the House for 15 minutes.
As soon as the house reassembled, the AIUDF MLAs, who continued to remain inside, raised a din again, demanding that their issue be discussed.
Some of them even squatted in the well of the House till the Marshall and the watch and ward staff were called in and they were peacefully guided out.
Amidst the noisy scenes, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said if there was violation of human rights, the aggrieved could go to the Human Rights Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?