Noisy scenes in Assam assembly, AIUDF MLAs expelled
Guwahati: All 18 members of opposition AIUDF were on Monday expelled from Assam Assembly on the opening day of the monsoon session by Speaker Pranab Kumar Gogoi amidst noisy scenes.
During Question Hour, Sherman Ali Ahmed of AIUDF insisted on clarifications from the government on `D` (doubtful) voters issue and asserted that they were being harassed in the name of checking their citizenship.
The reply to his question was given by Minister Rockybul Hussain on behalf of the Chief Minister, who is in charge of the home ministry, but Ahmed insisted on asking more questions.
When he did not take his seat even after being repeatedly asked to do so, the Speaker expelled him for the day.
Ahmed, however, refused to go out and all the other members of his party also joined him in claiming that the human rights of the affected `D` voters were being violated by not allowing the MLA to discuss their issue in the Assembly.
As the AIUDF MLAs kept shouting in protest and nothing could be heard in the din, Gogoi expelled all of them for the day.
When they did not leave and continued to shout, the Speaker adjourned the House for 15 minutes.
As soon as the house reassembled, the AIUDF MLAs, who continued to remain inside, raised a din again, demanding that their issue be discussed.
Some of them even squatted in the well of the House till the Marshall and the watch and ward staff were called in and they were peacefully guided out.
Amidst the noisy scenes, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said if there was violation of human rights, the aggrieved could go to the Human Rights Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India