PM to visit flood affected regions of Assam on Monday
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, accompanied by high level officials, will visit the flood affected areas of Assam tomorrow to take stock of the situation and the relief efforts being made there.
PMO sources said on Sunday that Singh will leave for Assam tomorrow and return by evening. He will be accompanied by officials who will assess damage and relief work.
Singh has already announced an ex-gratia of Rs one lakh from the Prime Minister`s National Relief Fund to the kin of each of those killed in the floods and directed the Defence Ministry to provide Army assistance in rescue and relief.
Singh had called up the state`s Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on June 28 to enquire about the condition in the state.
The Prime Minister has assured the Assam government of all help to deal with the flood situation there.
He had also spoken to Defence Minister A K Antony "urging full Army assistance for the rescue and relief operations in the affected areas".
Though the water level is said to be receding in some areas, 23 of the 27 districts of the state have come in the grip of floods and more than 30 people have died, while several are reported missing.
24 sorties have been carried out by the Indian Air Force helicopters and 4,000 kg of food packets dropped in the flood affected regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof