State Wildlife Crime Control Bureau to be formed: Gogoi
Guwahati: Under fire over the recent rhino killings at Kaziranga, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Sunday said a state Wildlife Crime Control Bureau would be set up to deal with poaching and smuggling of animal products.
He said the state government would soon bring out a white paper on wildlife and forest conservation giving details of the work carried out by his government and previous regimesm which, he claimed, will prove that charges made by opposition parties like BJP and Asom Gana Parishad were false.
"We will form a State Wildlife Crime Control Bureau. Poaching has happened and we are taking the issue seriously," Gogoi told reporters here.
He said that "involvement of extremist groups have been noticed in poaching of rhinos", but did not elaborate.
"Some people are trying to play politics over the poaching of rhinos. That is unfortunate," he said.
Gogoi said, "We plan to involve local communities in the area of Kaziranga National Park and Manas and form Animal Defence Parties, on the lines of Village Defence Committees. We are also eager to involve NGOs for wildlife conservation."
Gogoi said so far in 2012, a total of 14 rhinos have been poached in Kaziranga, while another 27 have died due to drowning during the three waves of flood.
He refuted suggestions of encroachment of land at KNP by suspected Bangladeshi illegal immigrants.
"There is no encroachment in the core reserve area. However, there might be instances of encroachment in those areas which have been acquired for expansion of the KNP but are yet to be handed over to the Kaziranga Authority," he added.
"We will not allow any encroachment and evict anybody found to have encroached land in the national park," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP