Violence erupts in Goalpara district of Assam
Goalpara (Assam): Violence has erupted in Goalpara district following announcement of election to the Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council with a school and two vehicles set ablaze in different places on Sunday, while an indefinite bandh has affected normal life.
A lower primary school at Puthimari was burnt down during the bandh called since yesterday by the Garo National Council and 10 non-Rabha organisations, official sources said.
At Kasomari and Torangthap two mini buses and a car were also set ablaze, they said.
Garo and non-Rabha people armed with sharp weapons and rods took to the roads protesting against the upcoming polls demanding the non-Rabha villages be excluded from the Council.
The bandh called from 5 AM yesterday affected normal life in the Garo and non-Rabha areas of the district.
The Council polls were announced on Friday in three phases between November 13 and 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families? - Part II
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India?
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India? Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the mystery of missing IAF aircraft AN-32