Violence erupts in Goalpara district of Assam
Goalpara (Assam): Violence has erupted in Goalpara district following announcement of election to the Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council with a school and two vehicles set ablaze in different places on Sunday, while an indefinite bandh has affected normal life.
A lower primary school at Puthimari was burnt down during the bandh called since yesterday by the Garo National Council and 10 non-Rabha organisations, official sources said.
At Kasomari and Torangthap two mini buses and a car were also set ablaze, they said.
Garo and non-Rabha people armed with sharp weapons and rods took to the roads protesting against the upcoming polls demanding the non-Rabha villages be excluded from the Council.
The bandh called from 5 AM yesterday affected normal life in the Garo and non-Rabha areas of the district.
The Council polls were announced on Friday in three phases between November 13 and 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees