Violence erupts in Goalpara district of Assam
Goalpara (Assam): Violence has erupted in Goalpara district following announcement of election to the Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council with a school and two vehicles set ablaze in different places on Sunday, while an indefinite bandh has affected normal life.
A lower primary school at Puthimari was burnt down during the bandh called since yesterday by the Garo National Council and 10 non-Rabha organisations, official sources said.
At Kasomari and Torangthap two mini buses and a car were also set ablaze, they said.
Garo and non-Rabha people armed with sharp weapons and rods took to the roads protesting against the upcoming polls demanding the non-Rabha villages be excluded from the Council.
The bandh called from 5 AM yesterday affected normal life in the Garo and non-Rabha areas of the district.
The Council polls were announced on Friday in three phases between November 13 and 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- School dropout biggest crisis in India, says Singapore Deputy PM
- Italy quake death toll hits 278, state funeral planned
- Jigisha killer Ravi Kapoor convicted in taxi-driver murder case
- Records aside, US Open getting personal for Serena Williams
- World Risk Report 2016: India ranks 77th in world disaster risk index