Violence erupts in Goalpara district of Assam
Goalpara (Assam): Violence has erupted in Goalpara district following announcement of election to the Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council with a school and two vehicles set ablaze in different places on Sunday, while an indefinite bandh has affected normal life.
A lower primary school at Puthimari was burnt down during the bandh called since yesterday by the Garo National Council and 10 non-Rabha organisations, official sources said.
At Kasomari and Torangthap two mini buses and a car were also set ablaze, they said.
Garo and non-Rabha people armed with sharp weapons and rods took to the roads protesting against the upcoming polls demanding the non-Rabha villages be excluded from the Council.
The bandh called from 5 AM yesterday affected normal life in the Garo and non-Rabha areas of the district.
The Council polls were announced on Friday in three phases between November 13 and 25.
- Thousands rally in Turkey to mark May Day amid tight security
- After Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh, forest fire now rages in J&K
- Uttarakhand forest fires: Social media terms it ‘National Emergency’, around 3000 hectares of forest area destroyed
- US, Russia in bids to halt fighting in Syria`s Aleppo
- 54 crore Indians in grip of drought: Swaraj Abhiyan