12 killed in clash between Maoists, criminals
Munger: Two villagers and 10 Naxalites were killed in Monday`s fierce exchange of fire between a group of criminals and Maoists in Bihar`s Munger district, Superintendent of Police M Sunil Naik said on Wednesday.
Naik said the firing that took place near the confluence of river Ganga-Gandak in Hiranman diara area late on Monday night following a dispute, which left 12 dead -- two villagers and 10 Maoists.
Four bodies -- one of Murari Bind, a villager, and his nephew, besides two of the naxalites were recovered so far, the SP said.
He said the bodies of the naxalites who were killed during the fire were later cut into pieces and dumped in river Gandak by the criminals, he said, adding divers were engaged to trace rest of the bodies.
According to intelligence inputs, the locals were fed up with the "rude and violent" behaviour of the naxalites in the area, Naik said.
Unconfirmed reports put the death toll in the clash at around 25.
A few blood-stained uniforms of Naxalites were recovered from the spot, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?