12 killed in clash between Maoists, criminals
Munger: Two villagers and 10 Naxalites were killed in Monday`s fierce exchange of fire between a group of criminals and Maoists in Bihar`s Munger district, Superintendent of Police M Sunil Naik said on Wednesday.
Naik said the firing that took place near the confluence of river Ganga-Gandak in Hiranman diara area late on Monday night following a dispute, which left 12 dead -- two villagers and 10 Maoists.
Four bodies -- one of Murari Bind, a villager, and his nephew, besides two of the naxalites were recovered so far, the SP said.
He said the bodies of the naxalites who were killed during the fire were later cut into pieces and dumped in river Gandak by the criminals, he said, adding divers were engaged to trace rest of the bodies.
According to intelligence inputs, the locals were fed up with the "rude and violent" behaviour of the naxalites in the area, Naik said.
Unconfirmed reports put the death toll in the clash at around 25.
A few blood-stained uniforms of Naxalites were recovered from the spot, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list