12 killed in clash between Maoists, criminals
Munger: Two villagers and 10 Naxalites were killed in Monday`s fierce exchange of fire between a group of criminals and Maoists in Bihar`s Munger district, Superintendent of Police M Sunil Naik said on Wednesday.
Naik said the firing that took place near the confluence of river Ganga-Gandak in Hiranman diara area late on Monday night following a dispute, which left 12 dead -- two villagers and 10 Maoists.
Four bodies -- one of Murari Bind, a villager, and his nephew, besides two of the naxalites were recovered so far, the SP said.
He said the bodies of the naxalites who were killed during the fire were later cut into pieces and dumped in river Gandak by the criminals, he said, adding divers were engaged to trace rest of the bodies.
According to intelligence inputs, the locals were fed up with the "rude and violent" behaviour of the naxalites in the area, Naik said.
Unconfirmed reports put the death toll in the clash at around 25.
A few blood-stained uniforms of Naxalites were recovered from the spot, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- PM Modi, Amit Shah have 'one soul', says Javadekar
- Hillary Clinton would be Democratic nominee: Feinstein
- Israel media: Police recommend indicting Netanyahu's wife
- Watch video: Giant Gorilla shot and killed to save 4-year-old child!
- AAP MLA Jagdeep Singh arrested on assault charges, later released on bail