Bihar literacy growth rate much ahead of national average
Patna: Educational programmes in Bihar have resulted in pushing literacy growth rate in the state to 16.82 per cent, much ahead of national average of 9.28 per cent, Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi said on Friday.
Social indices like decline in death rate, universalisation of immunisation scheme and rise in per capita income in Bihar reflects that the state was achieving inclusive growth, he said addressing a function here.
Modi highlighted different literacy programmes for uplifting educational level among deprived sections.
He referred to special programmes for mahadalits, minorities and most backward sections.
Modi said more than 8 lakh women in the 15-35 age group belonging to mahadalits and most backward classes were being imparted education annually.
He said over 4 lakh women of minority communities were being linked with education every year to empower the deprived sections of the society.
Modi said literacy programmes have been started in prisons to educate unlettered masses, he added.
In a separate function, Modi, who also hold the finance portfolio, ordered officials to keep a watch over non-banking companies who were siphoning off huge cash of the common man.
He instructed officials to act promptly on getting complaints against such non-registered financial bodies which cheat masses by promising huge interest for their money.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video