Bihar literacy growth rate much ahead of national average
Patna: Educational programmes in Bihar have resulted in pushing literacy growth rate in the state to 16.82 per cent, much ahead of national average of 9.28 per cent, Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi said on Friday.
Social indices like decline in death rate, universalisation of immunisation scheme and rise in per capita income in Bihar reflects that the state was achieving inclusive growth, he said addressing a function here.
Modi highlighted different literacy programmes for uplifting educational level among deprived sections.
He referred to special programmes for mahadalits, minorities and most backward sections.
Modi said more than 8 lakh women in the 15-35 age group belonging to mahadalits and most backward classes were being imparted education annually.
He said over 4 lakh women of minority communities were being linked with education every year to empower the deprived sections of the society.
Modi said literacy programmes have been started in prisons to educate unlettered masses, he added.
In a separate function, Modi, who also hold the finance portfolio, ordered officials to keep a watch over non-banking companies who were siphoning off huge cash of the common man.
He instructed officials to act promptly on getting complaints against such non-registered financial bodies which cheat masses by promising huge interest for their money.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez