Bihar panchayat imposes ban on liquor, gambling
Madhepura: A panchayat in Bihar`s Madhepura district has set an example by imposing a ban on consumption of liquor and gambling by the menfolk.
The Mithai panchayat, which is about 6 km from here, has also banned playing or exhibiting obscene songs/films with provision of penalty upto Rs 5000, its mukhiya (village head) Madhumala said.
"We were forced to take this decision as villagers mostly women were frequent victim to cases of fight among tipplers and also loss of lives due to drinking," Madhumala told PTI.
On an average 15 people die each year due to excessive liquor consumption, she said.
The decision, taken a fortnight ago after a meeting of the panchayat, was a result of initiative taken by Madhumala and her husband and social worker Devraj.
The panchayat decided to impose a penalty of Rs 5001 on people found violating the ban on liquor consumption and gambling and Rs 501 for playing obscene music or exhibiting an obscene film, Madhumala said.
"The decision is yielding positive results," she added.
The Mithai panchayat, which is the oldest in Madhepura district, is enroute to Saharsa and has a population of over 25,000. A Railways engine factory is coming up near it.
Madhepura Sub-Divisional Police Officer Sanjay Kumar Nirala hailed the decision and assured all assistance to the panchayat for stringent enforcement of the order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says