Bihar`s food subsidy to double: Jairam Ramesh
Patna: Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh Sunday said Bihar`s food subsidy and foodgrain allocation would be doubled under the National Food Security Bill.
"Bihar`s food subsidy will increase from Rs.5,500 crore to Rs.11,500 crore and allocation of foodgrain will increase from 28 lakh tonnes to 56 lakh tonnes," Ramesh said at a press conference here.
The minister, who is here to attend a Congress party function, said Bihar will benefit the most under the bill.
He said the public distribution system (PDS) in the state was in bad shape.
"Bihar`s population is more than Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra but PDS shops are less than the two states. That itself indicates its poor story," he said.
"Now, it is high time to bring a change in the PDS network in Bihar to implement the food security bill in a proper manner," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Vodafone launches 4G services in Haryana; get 20 GB data at just Rs 999
- Shahid Afridi virtually ruled out of lone T20 against England
- iBerry Auxus 4X with 4GB RAM launched in India at Rs 15,990
- OMG! UP politician calls traffic cop 'gunda' for doing his duty – WATCH Viral Video
- Two dead, seven injured in stampede after fire in Murshidabad hospital