Bihar`s food subsidy to double: Jairam Ramesh
Patna: Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh Sunday said Bihar`s food subsidy and foodgrain allocation would be doubled under the National Food Security Bill.
"Bihar`s food subsidy will increase from Rs.5,500 crore to Rs.11,500 crore and allocation of foodgrain will increase from 28 lakh tonnes to 56 lakh tonnes," Ramesh said at a press conference here.
The minister, who is here to attend a Congress party function, said Bihar will benefit the most under the bill.
He said the public distribution system (PDS) in the state was in bad shape.
"Bihar`s population is more than Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra but PDS shops are less than the two states. That itself indicates its poor story," he said.
"Now, it is high time to bring a change in the PDS network in Bihar to implement the food security bill in a proper manner," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery