Bihar`s food subsidy to double: Jairam Ramesh
Patna: Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh Sunday said Bihar`s food subsidy and foodgrain allocation would be doubled under the National Food Security Bill.
"Bihar`s food subsidy will increase from Rs.5,500 crore to Rs.11,500 crore and allocation of foodgrain will increase from 28 lakh tonnes to 56 lakh tonnes," Ramesh said at a press conference here.
The minister, who is here to attend a Congress party function, said Bihar will benefit the most under the bill.
He said the public distribution system (PDS) in the state was in bad shape.
"Bihar`s population is more than Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra but PDS shops are less than the two states. That itself indicates its poor story," he said.
"Now, it is high time to bring a change in the PDS network in Bihar to implement the food security bill in a proper manner," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times