Bihar`s food subsidy to double: Jairam Ramesh
Patna: Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh Sunday said Bihar`s food subsidy and foodgrain allocation would be doubled under the National Food Security Bill.
"Bihar`s food subsidy will increase from Rs.5,500 crore to Rs.11,500 crore and allocation of foodgrain will increase from 28 lakh tonnes to 56 lakh tonnes," Ramesh said at a press conference here.
The minister, who is here to attend a Congress party function, said Bihar will benefit the most under the bill.
He said the public distribution system (PDS) in the state was in bad shape.
"Bihar`s population is more than Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra but PDS shops are less than the two states. That itself indicates its poor story," he said.
"Now, it is high time to bring a change in the PDS network in Bihar to implement the food security bill in a proper manner," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire