BJP retains Purnia Assembly seat
Patna: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), an alliance partner in Bihar`s Nitish Kumar government, retained the Purnia Assembly seat in the state Wednesday, defeating the Congress.
"BJP`s Kiran Keshri was declared winner in the Purnia Assembly bypolls," a district official said. She defeated her nearest rival of the Congress, Ramcharitra Yadav, by over 22,000 votes.
She is the widow of late BJP legislator Raj Kishore Keshri who was stabbed to death by school teacher Rupam Pathak at his residence allegedly for sexually exploiting her. His death had necessitated the bypoll.
A total of seven candidates were in the fray for the by-elections held June 25.
It was the first bypoll after the Nitish Kumar-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) won the state Assembly polls last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal