BJP’s Giriraj Singh faces women ire over `dehati aurat` remarks, apologises
Patna: Bihar BJP leader Giriraj Singh on Monday faced protest from a group of rural women for his comments that Chief Minister Nitish Kumar was quarrelling with Narendra Modi like a "dehati aurat" (rural woman).
The agitating women, who were carrying bangles and `bindi`, raised slogans outside Giriraj Singh`s residence here. The BJP leader was not at his residence at that time.
Later, Giriraj Singh, who served as Minister for Animal Husbandry in the Nitish Kumar government before BJP ministers were dropped by Kumar after split in NDA, expressed regret for his comments against women.
"If women have felt hurt by my comments I express regret...I never intended to hurt them," he told.
The BJP leader had told reporters on Saturday morning that Nitish Kumar was behaving like a "dehati aurat" (rural woman) and quarrelling with Narendra Modi out of jealousy.
While, he regretted the "dehati aurat" (rual woman) comment, Singh accused Bihar minister Shyam Rajak for orchestrating protest of women outside residence.
"The police remained a mute spectator while protesters had assembled in large number at my residence gate which falls in a restricted zone and where section 144 is in force always", the BJP leader, who has retained his ministerial bungalow, said.
The former minister stood his ground against the CM and said his latest assertions that people would sweep outside muck with the brooms purchased on Dhanteras proves the charge of "deep jealousy" against Narendra Modi.
Shyam Rajak denied any involvement in organising protest at Singh`s residence.
"I can`t stoop to a low level like him," he said.
Rajak said that since Nitish Kumar government has empowered women by giving them respect and 50 per cent reservation in panchayats and urban local bodies, they would not tolerate any "insult" as done by Giriraj Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured