BJP’s Giriraj Singh faces women ire over `dehati aurat` remarks, apologises
Patna: Bihar BJP leader Giriraj Singh on Monday faced protest from a group of rural women for his comments that Chief Minister Nitish Kumar was quarrelling with Narendra Modi like a "dehati aurat" (rural woman).
The agitating women, who were carrying bangles and `bindi`, raised slogans outside Giriraj Singh`s residence here. The BJP leader was not at his residence at that time.
Later, Giriraj Singh, who served as Minister for Animal Husbandry in the Nitish Kumar government before BJP ministers were dropped by Kumar after split in NDA, expressed regret for his comments against women.
"If women have felt hurt by my comments I express regret...I never intended to hurt them," he told.
The BJP leader had told reporters on Saturday morning that Nitish Kumar was behaving like a "dehati aurat" (rural woman) and quarrelling with Narendra Modi out of jealousy.
While, he regretted the "dehati aurat" (rual woman) comment, Singh accused Bihar minister Shyam Rajak for orchestrating protest of women outside residence.
"The police remained a mute spectator while protesters had assembled in large number at my residence gate which falls in a restricted zone and where section 144 is in force always", the BJP leader, who has retained his ministerial bungalow, said.
The former minister stood his ground against the CM and said his latest assertions that people would sweep outside muck with the brooms purchased on Dhanteras proves the charge of "deep jealousy" against Narendra Modi.
Shyam Rajak denied any involvement in organising protest at Singh`s residence.
"I can`t stoop to a low level like him," he said.
Rajak said that since Nitish Kumar government has empowered women by giving them respect and 50 per cent reservation in panchayats and urban local bodies, they would not tolerate any "insult" as done by Giriraj Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash