Central team takes stock of drought situation in Bihar
Patna: A central team of experts from the
Agriculture Ministry, sent by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is
assessing the drought situation in 28 rain deficient districts
The team made an on the spot study in Vaishali,
Begusarai, Sitamarhi and other districts and took the stock of
damages caused to farmers and discussed relief measures with
district officials, state Agriculture Minister Renu Kumari
Magadh and Patna divisions were the worst affected by
drought as the water table had declined to precariously low
levels, she said, adding the water table in north Bihar was
State Agriculture Director B Rajendra and other
officials were accompanying the central team, which arrived
The visit follows submission of a memorandum by Chief
Minister Nitish Kumar to the prime minister on Sunday
demanding financial assistance of Rs 5,000 crore to tackle the
The team has been informed of 50 per cent of Kharif
(paddy) loss due to scanty rainfall, official sources said.
The Chief Minister has already announced diesel
subsidy for paddy and maize irrigation.
ccording to Met officials, the overall rainfall
deficit has risen to 31 per cent from 23 per cent on July 31.
The most rain-deficient districts as per the IMD, were
Arwal (-65 pc), Sitamarhi (-64 pc), Khagaria (-58 pc),
Vaishali (-57 pc), Samastipur (-51 pc), Sheohar (-50 pc),
Rohtas (-39 pc), Gaya (-33 pc) and Jehanabad (-30 pc ).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report