During polls, some Bihar leaders face Maoist threat
Patna: With Lok Sabha polls around the corner, half a dozen Bihar politicians and some police officers are on the hit list of Maoists, police said Wednesday.
The Intelligence Bureau has asked the Bihar Police to tighten its security in view of the Maoist threat.
"Intelligence Bureau has cautioned the state police that Maoists may target some leaders and police officers either ahead of polls or during the polls," an officer at the police headquarters here said.
According to the officer, ruling Janata Dal-United MP from Munger Rajiv Ranjan Singh alias Lalaln Singh, who is contesting the polls, Bihar assembly Speaker Uday Narain Choudhary, who is contesting from Jamui seat as a JD-U candidate and BJP legislator Prem Ranjan Patel are on the hit list of the Maoists.
Jamui is considered a Maoist stronghold.
"Maoists can target and attack other leaders during campaign in Gaya, Aurangabad, Jehanabad, Arwal, Nawada, Rohtas districts, known as hot bed of Maoists activities," a police official said.
Four superintendents of police at Munger, Banka, Jamui and Lakhisarai are also on the hit list of Maoists.
"In view of intelligence alert for them, police headquarters has instructed four SPs to take precautionary measures for their safety till polls get over in their districts," a police official said.
Security of Jamui SP Jitendra Rana, Banka SP Pushkar Anand, Lakhisarai SP Ashok Kumar and Munger SP Varun Kumar Sinha has been tightened.
Munger range DIG Sudhansu Kumar and Bhagalpur range DIG Sanjay Singh are also on hit list of Maoists.
Last week Bihar police chief Abhayanand held a meeting with top police officials to chalk out an action plan to provide security in Maoists affected six districts going to polls in the first phase elections April 10 in the state.
Maoists, through posters in different parts of state, have made it clear that they would disrupt the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read