Families of Bihar stampede victims get assistance from Sonia
Patna: Families of victims of the recent stampede during Chhath today received cheques of Rs 50,000 each as compensation from Congress President Sonia Gandhi.
Congress In-charge of Bihar Affairs Gulchain Singh Charak handed over the cheques to the next of kin of the 18 persons who died in the stampede and Rs 10,000 to those who were injured.
Charak told reporters at state party headquarter, the probe report on the stampede triggered by rumours of a wire falling on a make-shift wooden bridge on the river Ganga should be made public.
He said the Congress President was deeply touched by the incident and decided to help the families of victims.
Charak also demanded a CBI probe into the report of irregularities of Rs 6000 crore in implementation of the MNREGA scheme in Bihar.
He also sought the death sentence for those involved in manufacture and sale of hooch which claimed over 32 lives in Bhojpur and Gaya last week.
The Congress leader said a state-level conference of the party would be held here on December 24 in which many national leaders would participate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death