Go for civil disobedience to make bandh successful: Nitish Kumar
Khagaria: Taking a leaf out of Mahatma Gandhi`s book, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Sunday urged people to go for civil disobedience to make March 2 `Bihar bandh` a success on the issue of denial of special category status to Bihar.
"Gandhiji had launched civil disobedience movement to seek freedom for our country. It is time that you too resort to similar agitation for the cause of Bihar and collectively strike work for a day to protest against denial of special rights to our state," Kumar said.
He was addressing a function at Khagaria after laying foundation stone for construction of a mega bridge connecting Khagaria and Bhagalpur districts.
The proposed 3.16 km long bridge will cost Rs 1710 crore.
"Please spare a day for the cause of Bihar and strike work on March 2," Kumar said and urged people to come out of their houses and clap on utensils so that the collective sound reaches New Delhi.
He slammed the Centre for `depriving` special status to Bihar in view of its economic backwardness but granting it to Seemandhra after carving out Telangana last week.
"Why Bihar`s legitimate aspiration for development has been scuttled?" Kumar asked.
Stating that special status is a right of the people of Bihar, the Chief Minister said he would lead the people in realising their aspiration for development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic