IAS KP Ramaiah joins JD(U) to take on LS Speaker Meira Kumar
Patna: Retired Bihar cadre IAS officer K P Ramaiah today joined JD(U) amid indication that he would take on Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar in Sasaram Lok Sabha seat.
Ramaiah, who was Principal Secretary of SC & ST department before taking VRS from service recently, took membership of Nitish Kumar`s party in the presence of its state President Basistha Narayan Singh at the party headquarters here.
He was a 1986 batch IAS officer of Bihar cadre and earlier served as District Magistrate of Patna and Disivional commissioner of Patna and Tirhut.
Food minister Shyam Rajak was present on the occasion.
Ramaiah, who hails from Andhra Pradesh, lauded welfare work done by Nitish Kumar for Dalits, extremely backward castes and minorities which he said inspired him to join JD(U).
He headed the famous "Mahadalit commission" created by Nitish Kumar for welfare of poorest among poor Dalit castes minus Paswan caste to which LJP President Ramvilas Paswan belonged.
The IAS turned Politician is expected to take on Meira Kumar, Lok Sabha Speaker and daughter of former Deputy Prime Minister Jagjivan Ram in Sasaram (Reserved) constituency of Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress