IAS KP Ramaiah joins JD(U) to take on LS Speaker Meira Kumar
Patna: Retired Bihar cadre IAS officer K P Ramaiah today joined JD(U) amid indication that he would take on Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar in Sasaram Lok Sabha seat.
Ramaiah, who was Principal Secretary of SC & ST department before taking VRS from service recently, took membership of Nitish Kumar`s party in the presence of its state President Basistha Narayan Singh at the party headquarters here.
He was a 1986 batch IAS officer of Bihar cadre and earlier served as District Magistrate of Patna and Disivional commissioner of Patna and Tirhut.
Food minister Shyam Rajak was present on the occasion.
Ramaiah, who hails from Andhra Pradesh, lauded welfare work done by Nitish Kumar for Dalits, extremely backward castes and minorities which he said inspired him to join JD(U).
He headed the famous "Mahadalit commission" created by Nitish Kumar for welfare of poorest among poor Dalit castes minus Paswan caste to which LJP President Ramvilas Paswan belonged.
The IAS turned Politician is expected to take on Meira Kumar, Lok Sabha Speaker and daughter of former Deputy Prime Minister Jagjivan Ram in Sasaram (Reserved) constituency of Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets