Lalu, Nitish joining hands in a `good beginning`: Congress
New Delhi: Congress on Thursday hailed as "good beginning" the rivals Lalu Prasad and Nitish Kumar shaking hands after 20 years for Rajya Sabhya bypolls in Bihar saying it will be "great if a grand alliance happens" in future.
The two parties coming together has led to the victory of two JD(U) candidates in the Rajya Sabha bypolls in Bihar despite cross voting.
Diplomat-politician Pawan Kumar Varma and Gulam Rasool Balyawi, official candidates of JD(U) defeated Independents Anil Sharma and Sabir Ali, having support of BJP and JD(U) dissidents.
The victory of JD(U) candidates came as a moral booster for Nitish Kumar`s party which received severe drubbing in the Lok Sabha elections winning just two of the 40 seats.
RJD had won four Lok Sabha seats while Congress just two and NCP one in an election which saw the Narendra Modi juggernaut ensuring 31 seats for NDA.
The combined vote percentage of RJD, JDU and Congress was way ahead of that of NDA and there is a view that if any such alliance is formed, BJP`s march will be halted.
"It`s a good beginning. It is great if a grand alliance (of RJD, JDU, Congress) happens in future," a top Congress functionary said today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read