Lalu, Nitish to jointly campaign for Bihar by-polls from today
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Patna: Nearly two decades year after they parted ways, Rashtriyaq Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad Yadav and Janata Dal (U) leader Nitish Kumar will begin a joint campaign from Monday for the state by-polls due tomorrow.
The coming together of two leaders puts an end to weeks of speculations on whether the two bitter political rivals will indeed share stage together at a public event to campaign jointly for the by-elections.
In 2005, Nitish Kumar allied with the BJP and ousted Lalu`s RJD from power.
According to reports, Nitish and Lalu will address public rallies at Hajipur and Mohadi Nagar. They will continue their campaign together next week as well.
The RJD, the JD-U and the Congress have put together a seat-sharing formula for the by-elections for ten assembly seats scheduled to be held on August 21. Under the arrangement, Kumar and Lalu`s parties will contest four seats each; the Congress gets the other two.
The by-polls are being considered the semi-final event, with the grand finale being the state elections due next year.
The alliance between Kumar and Prasad - who were once prominent young leaders in the Janata Party in the 1970s before forging their own political paths - comes in the wake of the BJP`s sweeping victory in the Lok Sabha polls.
Kumar had quit as chief minister in May this year after accepting responsibility for the party`s crushing defeat in the national elections, in which the RJD could win only seven seats. The BJP, which was dumped by Kumar in June last year, won 31 of the state`s 40 seats.
Incidentally, when the three parties formally announced the alliance at a press conference in Patna on July 30, both Kumar and Yadav gave the event a miss.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?