Meira Kumar`s niece runs into nomination trouble
Patna: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar`s niece Medhaavi Kirti who is challenging her aunt on a BSP ticket on Thursday became a victim of confusion when she found that another person also filed nomination from the Sasaram (reserved) seat as the party`s candidate.
When she went to file her papers as a BSP candidate from Sasaram, Kirti found that one Baleshwar Bharti had already filed papers as a BSP candidate.
On raising protest, she was allowed to file nomination but was denied `elephant` symbol.
Kirti blamed her aunt for the confusion. "This is a conspiracy against me by bua (aunt). She doesn`t want me to contest the elections against her...," she told reporters in Bhabua, headquarters of Kaimur district.
Meanwhile, Bharti insisted that he was the "bona fide" BSP candidate.
When contacted, BSP`s state general secretary Pramod Pappu Singh said the confusion arose as Kirti failed to file her nomination by March 19 as told by the party leadership.
"She could not be even reached over phone till late last night. So we thought she was not interested to contest on the party`s ticket. Today being the last date for filing of nominations, BSP asked Bharti to file papers as the party`s candidate," Singh said.
"As of now, Bharti is our party`s official candidate. However, we will take a final decision in the matter in the next few days," Singh added.
Kirti, granddaughter of iconic Dalit leader Jagjivan Ram, has entered the poll fray to contest against her aunt and six-time MP Meira Kumar, who was elected to the Lok Sabha from Sasaram in 2004 and 2009.
Meanwhile, 47 candidates filed nominations in eight parliamentary constituencies in Bihar today.
While nomination for the first phase of polls in Bihar for six seats in the Naxal-hit areas ended today, the process for the second phase of Lok Sabha polls on April 17 for seven seats began on the day.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged