Nitish demand aimed at being in PM race: Paswan
Patna: LJP chief Ramvilas Paswan on Monday said Chief Minister Nitish Kumar`s demand for special category status to Bihar was aimed at mobilising mass support to strengthen his case for being projected as NDA`s prime ministerial candidate in the 2014 general elections.
"It (the demand) is an open secret...It is part of a larger game plan (by Nitish Kumar) to see himself as a front runner for NDA`s prime ministerial candidate that Kumar has conceived the special status issue and set out on `Adhikar yatra` on September 19 to woo the masses to elect his candidates in the next general elections," Paswan said.
He criticised Kumar for his alleged inconsistent stand on the special status issue and said he had opposed the demand when it was raised by RJD-led government after bifurcation of Bihar in 2000.
Kumar, who was then serving as railway minister in the erstwhile NDA government at the Centre, had opposed the special status demand on the ground that there was no need for it and the special package given then would be sufficient to address the development deficit in Bihar, he said.
The Lok Janshakti Party chief demanded a debate in public on the special status issue. "Kumar will then stand exposed on the issue," he said.
He urged Congress, RJD and CPI(M) to expose Kumar`s inconsistent stand on the special status issue to the people and his political game plan behind his state-wide tour to solicit public support for his demand.
LJP would launch a state-wide campaign after Diwali to expose Kumar`s "hidden" political agenda and "double standards," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read