Nitish proposes Maharashtra Day celebration in Bihar
Mumbai: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Sunday said that he would like to see Maharashtra Day celebrated in Bihar in the same way as Bihar Day is being celebrated in Mumbai.
While addressing a crowd here late Sunday, Nitish Kumar thanked the Maharashtra government for a well-organised cultural celebration of Bihar Day in Mumbai.
"The people of Bihar have always been treated with respect in Maharashtra. This festival has been organised to strengthen the ties between the people of Maharashtra and Bihar," he said.
The celebrations started with the singing of `Jai Jai Maharashtra Majha`, a popular Marathi language song praising Maharashtra.
Kickstarting his speech in Marathi, Nitish Kumar praised Maharashtra and said: "Marathi is a sweet language and I would like to learn it."
"I will take lessons for the same," he said as he spoke about his affection towards Maharashtrian culture.
Nitish Kumar earlier met corporate leaders and urged them to take advantage of the industrial policy announced by his government in 2011.
He said that the industrial policy announced by the Bihar government focused on areas like agro-based industries, power, food-processing, tourism, IT, technical and higher education, super specialty hospitals, electronics, non-conventional sources of energy and hardware.
Stating that Bihar was now a developed state, Nitish Kumar urged the industry captains to invest in Bihar as it had industry-friendly offers.
He arrived in Mumbai Saturday to take part in the centenary celebrations of `Bihar Diwas` in the city.
His visit had sparked a controversy last week as Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray opposed it. Later, Thackeray softened his stand saying he had no objection to a socio-cultural celebration of Bihar Day.
Shiv Sena Supremo Bal Thackeray on the other hand derided his nephew for opposing Nitish Kumar`s Mumbai visit and then backtracking. He termed Raj`s flip-flop as an attempt to get public attention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash