Nitish proposes Maharashtra Day celebration in Bihar
Mumbai: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Sunday said that he would like to see Maharashtra Day celebrated in Bihar in the same way as Bihar Day is being celebrated in Mumbai.
While addressing a crowd here late Sunday, Nitish Kumar thanked the Maharashtra government for a well-organised cultural celebration of Bihar Day in Mumbai.
"The people of Bihar have always been treated with respect in Maharashtra. This festival has been organised to strengthen the ties between the people of Maharashtra and Bihar," he said.
The celebrations started with the singing of `Jai Jai Maharashtra Majha`, a popular Marathi language song praising Maharashtra.
Kickstarting his speech in Marathi, Nitish Kumar praised Maharashtra and said: "Marathi is a sweet language and I would like to learn it."
"I will take lessons for the same," he said as he spoke about his affection towards Maharashtrian culture.
Nitish Kumar earlier met corporate leaders and urged them to take advantage of the industrial policy announced by his government in 2011.
He said that the industrial policy announced by the Bihar government focused on areas like agro-based industries, power, food-processing, tourism, IT, technical and higher education, super specialty hospitals, electronics, non-conventional sources of energy and hardware.
Stating that Bihar was now a developed state, Nitish Kumar urged the industry captains to invest in Bihar as it had industry-friendly offers.
He arrived in Mumbai Saturday to take part in the centenary celebrations of `Bihar Diwas` in the city.
His visit had sparked a controversy last week as Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray opposed it. Later, Thackeray softened his stand saying he had no objection to a socio-cultural celebration of Bihar Day.
Shiv Sena Supremo Bal Thackeray on the other hand derided his nephew for opposing Nitish Kumar`s Mumbai visit and then backtracking. He termed Raj`s flip-flop as an attempt to get public attention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in