No rain: Bihar to take steps to save agriculture
Patna: In the wake of deficit rainfall, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has instructed officials in 28 affected districts to make arrangement on an war footing, so that the agricultural growth of 16 per cent recorded by the state in previous years is not compromised, officials said.
Kumar ordered a subsidy of Rs 200 crore on diesel, of which Rs 6.85 crore has already been disbursed.
On Chief Minister`s directive, a `war council` was set up to prevent and counteract both drought and flood conditions, the sources said.
Key departments like power, agriculture, PHED, water resources, animal husbandry, roads and building departments, disaster management have been advised to coordinate and formulate action plans to meet either eventuality.
An action plan has also been evolved which emphasised on immediate distribution of subsidised diesel at Rs 20 per per litre and upto Rs 200 per acre and within a fixed time, the sources said.
District magistrates have been asked to oversee the distribution together with repairing tube wells, fixing defunct power supply lines and ensuring that the worst rain deficit districts receive at least six to eight hours of power supply, they said.
The rain deficit has been estimated to be between 20 and 32 per cent in the state this year.
The development secretary is to coordinate the agriculture relief works together with irrigation and water resources officials on alternate days.
The state government is also finalising a policy for rehabilitation of flood victims and maintenance of embankments, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi