No rain: Bihar to take steps to save agriculture
Patna: In the wake of deficit rainfall, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has instructed officials in 28 affected districts to make arrangement on an war footing, so that the agricultural growth of 16 per cent recorded by the state in previous years is not compromised, officials said.
Kumar ordered a subsidy of Rs 200 crore on diesel, of which Rs 6.85 crore has already been disbursed.
On Chief Minister`s directive, a `war council` was set up to prevent and counteract both drought and flood conditions, the sources said.
Key departments like power, agriculture, PHED, water resources, animal husbandry, roads and building departments, disaster management have been advised to coordinate and formulate action plans to meet either eventuality.
An action plan has also been evolved which emphasised on immediate distribution of subsidised diesel at Rs 20 per per litre and upto Rs 200 per acre and within a fixed time, the sources said.
District magistrates have been asked to oversee the distribution together with repairing tube wells, fixing defunct power supply lines and ensuring that the worst rain deficit districts receive at least six to eight hours of power supply, they said.
The rain deficit has been estimated to be between 20 and 32 per cent in the state this year.
The development secretary is to coordinate the agriculture relief works together with irrigation and water resources officials on alternate days.
The state government is also finalising a policy for rehabilitation of flood victims and maintenance of embankments, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi