Ramvilas Paswan for increasing LS seats
Patna: LJP supremo Ramvilas Paswan Saturday
urged the Centre to raise the number of Lok Sabha seats from
existing 543 to 814 and make provisions for quota for SC, ST,
other weaker sections of society and minorities.
"I have serious apprehensions over the passage of the
bill in its present form...We have suggested increasing the
number of seats from existing 543 to 814 and making provisions
for reservation within reservation for SC, ST, other weaker
sections of society and minorities in the bill before adoption
in the LS," Paswan told reporters.
Stating that there has been no change in the number
of LS seats though the population has swelled to 120 crore,
Paswan said making reservation for women in the existing
seats would encourage corruption and jeopardise the
development of a constituency as the representatives would
remain in doubt whether their seats would be reserved for
women after a five-year term.
On the Bandopadhyay Commission on land reforms in Bihar,
Paswan said "people will like to know the contents of report,
the state government`s intentions on recommendations on
sharecroppers and details of expenditure on the commission`s
He also asked the chief minister to explain to the
people on March 22 (Bihar Divas) about the promises he had
fulfilled or the welfare of the people of the state.
Paswan charged the state government with failure to
maintain law and order and checking corruption, espcially in
implementation of NREGA.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference