Ramvilas Paswan for increasing LS seats
Patna: LJP supremo Ramvilas Paswan Saturday
urged the Centre to raise the number of Lok Sabha seats from
existing 543 to 814 and make provisions for quota for SC, ST,
other weaker sections of society and minorities.
"I have serious apprehensions over the passage of the
bill in its present form...We have suggested increasing the
number of seats from existing 543 to 814 and making provisions
for reservation within reservation for SC, ST, other weaker
sections of society and minorities in the bill before adoption
in the LS," Paswan told reporters.
Stating that there has been no change in the number
of LS seats though the population has swelled to 120 crore,
Paswan said making reservation for women in the existing
seats would encourage corruption and jeopardise the
development of a constituency as the representatives would
remain in doubt whether their seats would be reserved for
women after a five-year term.
On the Bandopadhyay Commission on land reforms in Bihar,
Paswan said "people will like to know the contents of report,
the state government`s intentions on recommendations on
sharecroppers and details of expenditure on the commission`s
He also asked the chief minister to explain to the
people on March 22 (Bihar Divas) about the promises he had
fulfilled or the welfare of the people of the state.
Paswan charged the state government with failure to
maintain law and order and checking corruption, espcially in
implementation of NREGA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read