RJD supports CPI-M nominee for Purnia
Patna: The RJD on Friday lent its support to CPI-M nominee Amit Sarkar, son of slain party MLA Ajit Sarkar, for the bypoll to Purnia Assembly constituency slated for June 25, indicating deteriorating ties with the Congress.
``We have decided to support Amit Sarkar,`` Leader of
Opposition in the state Assembly Abdul Bari Siddiqui and state
RJD president Ramchandra Purve told reporters.
Purve said RJD supremo Lalu Prasad had authorised the
state unit of the party to take a decision on the subject.
Siddiqui said the decision had been taken to avoid
division of secular votes and ensure defeat of communal
``We tried to contact LJP supremo Ramvilas Paswan seeking
his view on the matter, but he was not available. I am
confident that the LJP will support the RJD`s stand,``
In-charge of Congress affairs in Bihar Gulchain Singh
Charak had yesterday announced that his party had decided to
fight the bypoll on its own.
While replying to a question as to whether his party
would seek the support of RJD-LJP combine for the by-election,
Charak had said, ``The secular parties should understand that
the Congress is the lone alternative in the bypoll and should
support its nominee.``
The RJD-LJP combine has not put up its candidate for the
seat and rather said it would extend support to the candidate
of a secular party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read