RJD supports CPI-M nominee for Purnia
Patna: The RJD on Friday lent its support to CPI-M nominee Amit Sarkar, son of slain party MLA Ajit Sarkar, for the bypoll to Purnia Assembly constituency slated for June 25, indicating deteriorating ties with the Congress.
``We have decided to support Amit Sarkar,`` Leader of
Opposition in the state Assembly Abdul Bari Siddiqui and state
RJD president Ramchandra Purve told reporters.
Purve said RJD supremo Lalu Prasad had authorised the
state unit of the party to take a decision on the subject.
Siddiqui said the decision had been taken to avoid
division of secular votes and ensure defeat of communal
``We tried to contact LJP supremo Ramvilas Paswan seeking
his view on the matter, but he was not available. I am
confident that the LJP will support the RJD`s stand,``
In-charge of Congress affairs in Bihar Gulchain Singh
Charak had yesterday announced that his party had decided to
fight the bypoll on its own.
While replying to a question as to whether his party
would seek the support of RJD-LJP combine for the by-election,
Charak had said, ``The secular parties should understand that
the Congress is the lone alternative in the bypoll and should
support its nominee.``
The RJD-LJP combine has not put up its candidate for the
seat and rather said it would extend support to the candidate
of a secular party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love