Three killed in Bihar fair stampede, probe ordered
Patna: At least three people were killed and over a dozen injured in a stampede at a fair in Bihar`s Banka district, police said on Wednesday. A local police official has been suspended and a probe ordered into the incident.
"Preliminary inquiry suggests that the stampede was caused after either a clash between two groups or rumours of a fire when hundreds were watching a vulgar dance at a theatre in the fair after midnight," said a district police official.
According to police officials, one of those trampled upon in the stampede was a local resident and the other two were from neighbouring Bhagalpur district.
The injured have been admitted to various hospitals.
Some people complained that there was no arrangement for proper light and security at the fair.
Banka Superintendent of Police Pushkar Anand said the Bhagalpur deputy inspector general of police has asked him to inquire into the incident, while Baunsi police station chief Ashok Kumar has been suspended for neglect of the duty.
Anand said the theatre was closed immediately after the incident and district authorities would initiate process to cancel its license.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview