Tribals `capture` land in AMU campus in Bihar
Kisanganj: Armed tribals `captured` a piece of land in the proposed campus of the Aligarh Muslim University here on Sunday triggering protests.
Carrying bows and arrows, a group of tribals along with BJP MLC Dilip Kumar Jayswal reached the spot and performed puja to `capture` the land, official sources said.
The tribals alleged that the site was `bandobast` land given to them free of cost by the government for their livelihood and had been wrongfully acquired, the sources said.
Angry over the tribals` action, members of the minority community under leadership of RJD MLA Akhtaru Imam protested on the streets and disrupted traffic.
District authorities rushed to the site and took away the tribals, the sources said, adding, two persons have been arrested in this connection.
Vigilance in the area was tightened after the incident.
The Bihar government had recently handed over 224 acres under Chatla panchayat of Kisanganj for the proposed AMU campus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch