Tribals `capture` land in AMU campus in Bihar
Kisanganj: Armed tribals `captured` a piece of land in the proposed campus of the Aligarh Muslim University here on Sunday triggering protests.
Carrying bows and arrows, a group of tribals along with BJP MLC Dilip Kumar Jayswal reached the spot and performed puja to `capture` the land, official sources said.
The tribals alleged that the site was `bandobast` land given to them free of cost by the government for their livelihood and had been wrongfully acquired, the sources said.
Angry over the tribals` action, members of the minority community under leadership of RJD MLA Akhtaru Imam protested on the streets and disrupted traffic.
District authorities rushed to the site and took away the tribals, the sources said, adding, two persons have been arrested in this connection.
Vigilance in the area was tightened after the incident.
The Bihar government had recently handed over 224 acres under Chatla panchayat of Kisanganj for the proposed AMU campus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Saudi Airlines flight halted for 3 days in Ahmedabad!
- Posting babies' photos on Facebook put moms at depression risk
- Donald Trump is a joke for America: Chloe Grace Moretz
- Charleston church shooting case: US seeks death penalty for shooter Dylann Roof
- Irregularities in petition to oust Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro
- Alcohol kills an Indian every 96 minutes