Tribals `capture` land in AMU campus in Bihar
Kisanganj: Armed tribals `captured` a piece of land in the proposed campus of the Aligarh Muslim University here on Sunday triggering protests.
Carrying bows and arrows, a group of tribals along with BJP MLC Dilip Kumar Jayswal reached the spot and performed puja to `capture` the land, official sources said.
The tribals alleged that the site was `bandobast` land given to them free of cost by the government for their livelihood and had been wrongfully acquired, the sources said.
Angry over the tribals` action, members of the minority community under leadership of RJD MLA Akhtaru Imam protested on the streets and disrupted traffic.
District authorities rushed to the site and took away the tribals, the sources said, adding, two persons have been arrested in this connection.
Vigilance in the area was tightened after the incident.
The Bihar government had recently handed over 224 acres under Chatla panchayat of Kisanganj for the proposed AMU campus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you