Tribals `capture` land in AMU campus in Bihar
Kisanganj: Armed tribals `captured` a piece of land in the proposed campus of the Aligarh Muslim University here on Sunday triggering protests.
Carrying bows and arrows, a group of tribals along with BJP MLC Dilip Kumar Jayswal reached the spot and performed puja to `capture` the land, official sources said.
The tribals alleged that the site was `bandobast` land given to them free of cost by the government for their livelihood and had been wrongfully acquired, the sources said.
Angry over the tribals` action, members of the minority community under leadership of RJD MLA Akhtaru Imam protested on the streets and disrupted traffic.
District authorities rushed to the site and took away the tribals, the sources said, adding, two persons have been arrested in this connection.
Vigilance in the area was tightened after the incident.
The Bihar government had recently handed over 224 acres under Chatla panchayat of Kisanganj for the proposed AMU campus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened