Tribals `capture` land in AMU campus in Bihar
Kisanganj: Armed tribals `captured` a piece of land in the proposed campus of the Aligarh Muslim University here on Sunday triggering protests.
Carrying bows and arrows, a group of tribals along with BJP MLC Dilip Kumar Jayswal reached the spot and performed puja to `capture` the land, official sources said.
The tribals alleged that the site was `bandobast` land given to them free of cost by the government for their livelihood and had been wrongfully acquired, the sources said.
Angry over the tribals` action, members of the minority community under leadership of RJD MLA Akhtaru Imam protested on the streets and disrupted traffic.
District authorities rushed to the site and took away the tribals, the sources said, adding, two persons have been arrested in this connection.
Vigilance in the area was tightened after the incident.
The Bihar government had recently handed over 224 acres under Chatla panchayat of Kisanganj for the proposed AMU campus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu