Two die in violence during idol immersion in Bihar
Patna: Two people were killed and about three dozen injured in violence during idol immersion in different parts of Bihar, police said on Thursday.
Violence took place during idol immersion after Saraswati Puja in Bihar on Wednesday.
A woman was among two people who were killed in the violence related to idol immersion in Purnea and Madhepura districts.
Vijay Shah alias Munna, in his mid 30s, was stoned to death following an altercation that ensued after he requested the puja revellers to reduce the volume of the loudspeaker in Tikapur village in Purnea on Wednesday.
"Shah was killed after he objected to loud music being played on the public address system," said Amarendra Kumar Amar, a police official.
An FIR has been lodged against three people by victim`s wife Anita Devi.
Phuldai Devi, in her 40s, was killed in Dubiyahi village in Madhepura when a bullet hit her during firing between two groups over a dispute related to idol immersion.
"She was killed while she was going to sell bangles in a market," a police official said.
In Saharsa district, at least 18 people were injured in a clash between two groups.
Saharsa Superintendent of Police Sunil Nayak said that two groups of people were injured after they attacked each other in Telva village. Some of the injured were hospitalised.
Another clash took place in Araria district.
In Banka, two group of people pelted stones after dispute over the route of idol immersion in Khaira village. Half a dozen people were injured.
In state capital Patna, two group of students clashed.
At least five students were seriously injured.
Patna Senior Superintendent of Police Manu Maharaj said that action will be taken.
Police have also detained 40 students.
Some students attacked rival students with iron rods, hockey sticks and reportedly exploded a country made bomb to create terror.
Half a dozen police officials were also injured when students pelted stones at the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families? - Part II
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India?
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India? Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the mystery of missing IAF aircraft AN-32
- Not everything they taught you in science was true - 10 myths debunked in this 3-min VIDEO!
- Home Minister level talks: India, Bangladesh resolve to fight terrorism together
- Ukraine at UN says Putin's Crimea decree 'null and void'
- Evening showers bring Gurugram to a grinding halt
- J&K govt to provide support for smooth functioning of schools