Agnivesh attacked by protesters in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Alleged members of Salwa Judum on Saturday
threw eggs at the vehicles carrying Swami Agnivesh and other
social activists who were visiting Dantewada district of
Chhattisgarh on Saturday to inquire into burning of tribals` houses.
R Prasanna, the district collector, said to a news agency that
Agnivesh and others were heading for Tadmetla when they faced
the protesting Salwa Judum activists in Doranpal village.
Salwa Judum activists, including a large number of women,
allegedly threw eggs and tomatoes at their vehicles, he said.
Agnivesh and others were unhurt and they had been
provided with security, he said.
Agnivesh later issued a statement, saying that he did not
blame the villagers for the incident, as they too had been
victims of violence, and he had sympathy for them.
Fire had broken out at Tadmetla on March 12, in which
houses were gutted, and local tribal community alleged that
security forces were behind it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?