Agnivesh attacked by protesters in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Alleged members of Salwa Judum on Saturday
threw eggs at the vehicles carrying Swami Agnivesh and other
social activists who were visiting Dantewada district of
Chhattisgarh on Saturday to inquire into burning of tribals` houses.
R Prasanna, the district collector, said to a news agency that
Agnivesh and others were heading for Tadmetla when they faced
the protesting Salwa Judum activists in Doranpal village.
Salwa Judum activists, including a large number of women,
allegedly threw eggs and tomatoes at their vehicles, he said.
Agnivesh and others were unhurt and they had been
provided with security, he said.
Agnivesh later issued a statement, saying that he did not
blame the villagers for the incident, as they too had been
victims of violence, and he had sympathy for them.
Fire had broken out at Tadmetla on March 12, in which
houses were gutted, and local tribal community alleged that
security forces were behind it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre