Buch optimistic on securing Sukma DM`s release
Bhopal: Former Madhya Pradesh Chief Secretary Nirmala Buch, who has been named as one of the two mediators to hold talks with Maoists to secure the release of abducted Sukma district collector Alex Paul Menon, said here on Wednesday that she was optimistic about her mission.
"I am by nature a very optimistic person and I am very hopeful that I would be able to work out something with the help of others to secure the release of Menon," Nirmala told PTI before leaving for Raipur.
The former Madhya Pradesh Chief Secretary is among the two mediators named by the Chhattisgarh Government to hold talks with the Maoists for the release of the 32-year-old IAS officer, who is an asthma patient.
The other mediator named in this connection is former Chhattisgarh Chief Secretary Suyogya Kumar Mishra.
Nirmala also said that she realised that her task was not simple and something can be done only with the help of others involved in the matter.
Meanwhile in Hyderabad, human rights activist and academician Hargopal, whose name was proposed by Maoists last night as another mediator, said he is yet to hear from the Chhattisgarh government.
"My name has also been suggested for mediation. I haven`t heard from the Chhattisgarh government. Mediation can happen only when both sides agree upon the mediator, and both the Maoists and the government should accept the mediator`s opinion," he told reporters.
Naxals abducted the 2006-batch officer on Saturday from Majhipara village in Chhattisgarh`s Raipur district when he was holding a meeting as part of the government`s special Gram Suraj Abhiyan.
A day later, the Maoists had set April 25 as deadline to fulfil their demands, which include immediate halt to all police action against them and release of eight fellow comrades, including two women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy