Chhattisgarh Naxal attack: Cong leaders want NIA report to be made public
Raipur: Congress leaders, who were injured in Chhattisgarh`s Jiram valley Naxal attack in May this year, on Monday staged a dharna here demanding that the NIA report into the incident be made public and culprits be punished at the earliest.
"The Prime Minister had immediately ordered National Investigation Agency`s probe into the Darbha Naxal attack but we are sorry to say that the report has neither been kept in public domain nor the guilty have?been punished so far," Chhattisgarh Pradesh Congress Committee (CPCC) secretary Anjay Shukla told reporters here at the demonstration site.
Similarly, the probe report of the state government`s constituted judicial commission into the attack is also awaited, he said.
Pointing out lapses in the security that led to Darbha tragedy, Shukla said if no action has been taken after such a major attack on prominent political leaders, then who will take the guarantee of security of common men.
In a memorandum to Governor Shekhar Dutt, the injured victims of the attack asked to bring both the NIA and judicial commission reports in public domain and take stern action against the culprits following its recommendations, he added.
On May 25, heavily-armed Maoists ambushed a convoy of Congress` Parivartan Yatra in Jiram valley of Bastar district when it was returning after holding a public meeting in restive Sukma.
Nearly 32 people, including PCC chief Nand Kumar Patel, his son Dinesh, senior Congress leader Mahendra Karma and ex-MLA Uday Mudaliyar, were killed in the attack.
Admitting security lapses on the part of his government that led to such a major tragedy, Chief Minister Raman Singh had ordered a judicial inquiry into it.
The Centre had also roped in NIA to probe the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India