Mob kills tigress as officials watch
Raipur: As officials watched in horror, a 10,000-mob lynched a tigress trapped in a net in Chhattisgarh with sticks and stones and then took out a `victory procession`.
"It was a pathetic situation. We had already put a net on the tigress to capture her alive but the people lynched the tigress," Rakesh Chaturvedi, an official present at the site on Saturday, said.
The seven-feet-long and 250 kg tigress had reportedly become a terror as she had killed a woman and around 30 domesticated animals in Rajnangaon district since late July.
Chaturvedi explained why the tigress could not be caught earlier.
"The tigress was shuttling between Chhattisgarh and Maharashtra. The area is Naxalite-hit. So we had limited options," said the Udanti-Sitanadi Tiger Reserve official.
"Nobody in the crowd was ready to listen to us," he said.
"It`s an extremely sad news," Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wildlife) Ram Prakash said of the animal`s killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh