Villagers attack police party in Chhattisgarh
Rajnandgaon: A mob of around 300 villagers
allegedly attacked a police search party and tried to snatch
their weapons at Ghotia village in the Naxal-hit district.
Four villagers and some of the police personnel were
injured in the incident that occurred Thursday evening, a senior
police official said on Friday.
The police team of 26 personnel, led by Additional
Superintendent of Police (Naxal operations) Y P Singh, was
attacked by the mob at Ghotia main road when it was returning
after carrying out a search in the area, Rajnandgaon SP
Badrinarayan Meena told reporters.
The villagers also tried to snatch the weapons of the
search team, he said.
Some policemen were injured in the attack, Meena said,
adding the personnel used force in self-defence in which four
villagers sustained injuries.
Meanwhile, people from Ghotia village alleged that
police were targeting them for Naxal activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India's manufacturing sector growth falls to 4-month low in April
- Uttarakhand forest fire: Four arrested, says Prakash Javadekar
- SC rejects TRAI's plea on IUC case from Gujarat High Court to Delhi HC
- Chairman Hamid Ansari asks TMC MP Sukhendu Sekhar Roy to leave Rajya Sabha – Know why
- Maruti Suzuki sales jump 13% in April at 1,26,569 units