14-day judicial remand for Maoist leader Kobad Ghandy
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Thursday sent Kobad
Ghandy, a Politbureau member of banned CPI (Maoist), to 14
days of judicial custody.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kaveri Baweja sent
59-year-old Ghandy to judicial custody till October 29 when he
was produced before the court after the expiry of his
Meanwhile, the court also partially heard the bail
application filed on his behalf and posted it for further
hearing for October 20.
The court had on October 8 extended the police remand of
Ghandy by seven days to facilitate the investigating agency to
gather evidence and unravel the designs of the Maoists.
Ghandy`s release was reportedly demanded by Maoists along
with their two other leaders in exchange for abducted
Jharkhand police Inspector Francis Induwar, who was later
beheaded by the extremists.
The Maoist leader, who was in-charge of expanding the
proscribed organisation`s influence in urban areas, was
arrested on September 21 by the special cell of Delhi Police.
Ghandy, who studied in the prestigious Doon School and
the Cambridge University, was among the top echelons of
erstwhile CPI-ML (People`s War group) and then became a
Central Committee member of the CPI (Maoist) after its
formation. He became part of the CPI (Maoist) Politbureau in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price