1996 Housing scam:’No way out’ for 98-yr-old Kaul
New Delhi: Observing that "there is no way out" for 98-year-old former Union minister Shiela Kaul, facing prosecution in a 1996 government accommodation allotment scam, a Delhi court has directed her to appear before it for framing of charges and let the trial proceed.
Relying on the opinion of an AIIMS medical board which had found Kaul as being able to understand questions put to her, Special CBI Judge Pradeep Chaddah directed Kaul to appear before it on May 23.
"It becomes clear that accused Sheila Kaul is capable of understanding questions put to her and giving appropriate answers, though the questions might have to be repeated.
"Unfortunately for her, law does not prescribe any immunity for aged people. She might be quite old but there is no way out," the court said, directing her to appear in person before it.
The court also said "her absence has caused considerable delay and is holding up the trial."
The court had on April 9 asked AIIMS director to constitute a medical board to examine Kaul, who appeared before the medical board on April 23 and was kept under observation till April 26, during which she was examined by a the board of six doctors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'