40 injured as BJP activists clash with police
New Delhi: About 40 people, including journalists and policemen, were injured on Thursday when activists of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) clashed with police near Jantar Mantar in central Delhi, police said.
The activists were protesting against alleged corruption in Delhi government and were demanding the dismissal of Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, an official said.
Police had to lob tear gas shells and use water cannons to disperse the crowd as it pelted stones and damaged a police van and a Delhi Transport Corporation bus. The activists were trying to break the security cordon to reach Parliament House, the official said.
As a result, 28 activists, two photo-journalists and ten policemen, were injured and rushed to the Ram Manohar Lohia hospital, the official added.
However, Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta claimed that more than 200 party workers were injured in the clashes.
Gupta further said that it was at the initiative of his party that the Lokayukta of Delhi on Thursday recommended the removal of Delhi PWD minister Raj Kumar Chauhan.
"He has caused tax evasion of crores of rupees by conniving with a leading resort," Gupta said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video