Associate Sponsor
Sponsors


40 juveniles escaped from Delhi observation homes in Jan-March

Last Updated: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 16:27

New Delhi: A total of 40 juveniles have
escaped from observation homes for boys in Delhi between
January and March this year.

"The matter was enquired into and the enquiry concluded
that the large number of escapes was result of unrest amongst
the juveniles and lack of proper handling. Disciplinary action
has been initiated against the care-taking staff," Minister of
State for Home Mullappally Ramachandran told the Lok Sabha in
a written reply on Tuesday.

According to the information given by the minister, 77
boys escaped last year as against six in 2008.

The government has taken various measures, including
regular inspection of the homes by the officers of the
Department of Child Welfare.

Besides, the staff entering the homes are frisked to
ensure that no narcotic substance is passed on to the
residents. NGOs have been involved for engaging the juveniles
in constructive activities and for providing vocational
training, the minister said.

PTI



First Published: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 16:27

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus