Aam Aadmi Party MLA Dharmendra Koli accused of molestation, rioting
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: A case of molestation was filed against Dharmendra Koli — Aam Aadmi Party’s (AAP) newly-elected MLA from Seemapuri, on Monday.
The police complaint was filed against Koli by the wife of Congress leader Veer Singh Dhingan who alleged that Koli molested her during a victory rally after his win in the assembly elections on Sunday.
She, in her complaint, also alleged that Koli`s supporters threw alcohol bottles inside a Valmiki Temple in the area.
Incidentally, Dhingan was defeated by Koli in the Seemapuri constituency.
Koli, the party`s youngest MLA, refuted the charges, saying it was "a fake case" and "an attempt to malign my image", while AAP said prima facie it seemed to be an attempt to malign the image of the party.
Supporters of the two parties clashed at around 11:30 AM, when scores of AAP workers took out a victory procession in the area and started bursting crackers and celebrating in front of Dhinghan`s residence.
Some of Dhingan`s supporters questioned their presence in the area and directed them to vacate the place, after which a clash ensued between the two camps, police said.
Police soon reached the spot and brought the situation under control. However, an FIR was registered late in the night.
"We have registered an FIR of molestation and rioting against Koli and others after a complaint from Dhingan and a statement by his wife that AAP members allegedly entered their house and misbehaved with her. Further investigations are on," a police official said.
Reacting to the allegations, AAP said that prima facie it seemed to be an attempt to malign the image of the party.
"Also, it seems that it is a fake case as the incident happened in the morning and a complaint was filed late in the night. Koli will be expelled from the party if the allegations are found true but a defamation suit will be filed if they turn out to be false," AAP said in a statement.
Refuting the charges, Koli said it was "a fake case as Congress is unable to accept their defeat".
"I will file a defamation case against them," he said.
Defending himself, he said, "I was busy throughout the day in the procession. Our procession passed through Seemapuri, Gokulpuri and other parts of the constituency. I was in an open jeep and did not get time to get out of it. How can I do such things? It is an attempt to malign my image," he said.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'