Aarushi-Hemraj murder case: CBI court slams Talwar couple for `delaying tactics`
Ghaziabad: Slamming the "delaying tactics" adopted by Rajesh and Nupur Talwar, a special CBI court on Tuesday rejected their plea for a week`s time to move to Allahabad High Court on summoning additional wetnesses and gave them two days to testify before it.
CBI judge Shyam Lal said it cannot be a "silent spectator by leaving control of the trial to the accused" and asked the dentist couple to appear before it on May 17.
Defence counsel Manoj Sisodia today filed a plea that the couple be allowed to leave National Capital Region to file application in the High Court to challenge the trial court order rejecting their plea for summoning 14 additional witnesses, including ADG (Law and Order) and the then CBI Joint Director Arun Kumar, to record their statements.
"There seems to be no justification for delay for a week. Only two days time is given to leave for Allahabad and file the petition, they will appear in person on May 17 failing which their bail will be cancelled and they will have only themselves to blame. In consequentium relief for one week is rejected," Judge said in his order.
The court said even if the petition is allowed by the superior courts, supplementary statements can be recorded for which there is no legal bar therefore recording of statements cannot be postponed at this juncture.
It said adjournments cannot be given at the drop of the hat and the accused cannot attend the trial at their leisure.
The court said the application has been opposed by CBI "tooth and nail" on the "fulcrum of putting unwarranted road blocks" for expeditious trial as mandated by the Supreme Court.
Lal said the court cannot be a silent spectator by leaving control of the trial to the accused who have, as it appears, decided not to take the case forward.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof