About Rs 5 cr penalty realised from ticketless rail passengers
New Delhi: Railways has realised nearly Rs 5 crore as penalty from ticketless travellers this month.
A total amount of Rs 4,89,4927 has been realised during a a drive against unauthorised journey in trains, a senior Railway Ministry official said.
There were total 16,550 cases of unauthorised journey detected in the fortnight long drive carried out at 13 major stations including Lucknow, Patna, Bhopal, Nagpur, Vijayawada, Chennai, Howrah, Delhi and Pune.
"We have launched a special drive this month to curb ticketless travel at many places and it will continue in the coming months also," he said.
While 10,338 persons were caught travelling without ticket, 2,759 were detected travelling without proper tickets.
Thirty-three persons were also found smoking at no-smoke areas of rail premises during the checks and Rs 4,000 were realised as penalty from them.
The official said the ticket checking drive also aims to prevent leaking of revenue in passenger business.
A large number of ticket checking personnel along with a substantial strength of security personnel from the Railway Protection Force (RPF) have been deployed for the drive.
Zonal Railways have been instructed to strengthen ticket checking activities and check the tickets of passengers by deploying uninformed ticket checking personnel at the gates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre