Accident victim kin gets Rs 27.63L compensation
New Delhi: The family of a 34-year-old MCD employee, who died in a road accident in 2010, has been given a compensation of Rs 27.63 lakh by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT) here.
MACT presiding officer Arun Bhardwaj while holding that the rider of the offending motorcycle was driving negligently, directed Iffco Tokio General Insurance Company Ltd, with which the two-wheeler was insured, to pay the sum to mishap victim Manoj Kumar`s family.
"From the evidence of prosecution witness, negligence of respondent 1 (Sukhjinder Sandhu) in driving the offending vehicle which resulted in fatal injuries to the deceased is made out.
"The total compensation payable to the petitioners (family of deceased) would be Rs 27,63,736. Insurance company has not proved any of the statutory defences available to avoid its liability. Therefore, the compensation would be paid within 30 days from the date of this order by respondent 3 (insurance company)," the tribunal held.
Ved Prakash, the primary witness, had testified that he and the deceased were part of a group of `kawarias` (a particular type of Hindu pilgrims) on their way back from Haridwar after a pilgrimage.
Prakash had said he and the victim were travelling on foot, as is the practice for pilgrims, who march to Lord Shiva`s abode in Haridwar and back on foot during monsoon.
He said on August 8, 2010 at about 5.30 am when they reached near, Mohan Nagar, Ghaziabad, a motorcycle having Uttar Pradesh registration number, driven at a very high speed and in a negligent manner, hit Manoj from the back with great force.
Prakash said as a result of the impact Manoj fell down on the road and sustained grievous injuries and later died in the hospital.
The rider and the owner of the offending motorcycle had denied the occurrence of the accident.
Out of the compensation, Rs 5 lakh each was apportioned by the tribunal in favour of the widow, three minor children and mother of the deceased, while the remaining amount of Rs 2,63,736 was released in favour of father of the deceased.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know