AI flight catches fire; catastrophe averted
New Delhi: A major mishap was averted due to the alertness of five Delhi University students as an Air India aircraft outbound to New York had to make an emergency landing minutes post take-off after its engine caught fire.
Air India flight AI-101 was travelling with 339 passengers and 16 crew members and took off from the Delhi Airport runway on the night of 16-17 July and at 1:45 AM, the engine of the carrier caught fire due to a technical snag when it was hovering over Delhi’s Malviya Nagar locality.
Five students who were partying on the terrace of a home saw the sparks and immediately called the police and an emergency landing was possible after the police contacted Air Traffic Control. No Air India official was available to comment on the negligence that could have resulted in a massive catastrophe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- LOL: Never ever say these annoying things to a tall person! – Watch video
- Max Landis writing 'Pepe Le Pew' movie!
- Demand to ban advertisements on fairness creams in RS
- Migaloo sighting alert! White humpback whale spotted off Australia's Byron Bay (See pic)
- 'Iron Lady' Irom Sharmila to end 16-year fast on August 9, contest elections in Manipur