Anti-Sikh riots: Court seeks CBI`s reply on Sajjan Kumar`s plea
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Tuesday sought CBI`s response to a plea by veteran Congress leader Sajjan Kumar, a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case accused, asking if witnesses can be confronted with their affidavits submitted to commission set up to examine riot cases.
District Judge J R Aryan issued notice to the CBI, seeking its response on May 19 on Sajjan Kumar`s plea that prosecutor R S Cheema had on July 12, 2010 made a statement to the court that affidavits of a witness in the case cannot be used because of contradictions.
Advocate I U Khan, appearing for Sajjan Kumar, filed an application saying there are certain documents of Jagdish Kaur, the complainant and a key prosecution witness in the case, which the CBI had earlier brought on record and examined also but now it says the agency is not relying on them.
"While leading evidence, the prosecution (CBI) relied upon these two affidavits and statement of Jagdish Kaur and got proved affidavits filed before Ranganathan Mishra Commission of Inquiry and Nanawati Commission of Inquiry from her on July 2, 2010.
"Now how can the CBI say these documents cannot be used as there are contradictions in Jagdish Kaur`s statement and affidavits?," the counsel asked.
He also said the trial court while framing charges against the accused had also relied on these documents.
"These three documents which were collected by the CBI, relied upon during investigation, filed along with the charge sheet and they were also relied upon by the prosecution at the time of argument on charge and in fact on the basis of these documents the trial court has framed charges against the six accused. They form the basis of framing of charges," he said.
Sajjan Kumar, Balwan Khokkar, Kishan Khokkar, Mahender Yadav, Girdhari Lal and Captain Bhagmal are facing trial in the killings of six people in Delhi Cantonment area during the 1984 carnage which broke after the assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984.
They are accused of instigating a mob to attack and kill the Sikhs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA