Arjun Singh`s son Ajay is new CLP leader in MP
New Delhi: Ajay Singh, son of late
Congress leader Arjun Singh, has been named Legislature Party
Leader for Madhya Pradesh, a post which was lying vacant for
over six months since the death of Jamuna Devi.
Singh, a five-time MLA from Sidhi assembly seat, had
been a strong contender for the post of CLP Leader along with
the party`s Deputy Leader in the state assembly Rakesh
A four-time MLA, Choudhury was appointed as the acting
CLP Leader in Madhya Pradesh in November last year after the
death of Jamuna Devi, 81, at an Indore hospital on September
Singh`s appointment comes just days after Union
Minister Kantilal Bhuria was named PCC chief for the state
replacing Suresh Pachauri.
Since Bhuria belongs to the tribal community, the CLP
leader had to be either from the Thakur or Brahmin community
and hence names of both Singh and Chaudhary were doing the
rounds for the post.
The Congress is hoping that appointment of Bhuria and
Singh will revive the faction-ridden organisation in the
state, which is under BJP rule for nearly eight years.
While Bhuria is a close associate of AICC general
secretary and former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Digvijay
Singh, Ajay Singh had also served as a minister in his
A senior leader in the party said that the Congress
would "honour" the legacy of Arjun Singh.
The veteran Congress leader and former Union Minister,
who had served in various capacities including as Madhya
Pradesh Chief Minister, died last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next