Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh on Bangladesh visit
New Delhi: Aiming to strengthen bilateral military ties with Bangladesh, Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh is on a four-day visit to Bangladesh.
"During the visit, Gen Singh is scheduled to interact with various high level political and military dignitaries of Bangladesh including its President, Prime Minister, all three Service Chiefs and other dignitaries," Army officials said here on Tuesday.
The visit assumes significance in the light of improving military cooperation between the two countries in consonance with India`s growing relationship with Bangladesh, they added.
Gen Singh had visited Dhaka earlier in February 2011 when he was heading the Eastern Army Command.
"He has also played a major role in organising the visits of Mukti Jodhas (liberation fighters) for furtherance of the excellent bilateral relations that exist between both the countries," the officials said.
A delegation of Bangladeshi freedom fighters had visited India last year to celebrate the 40th year of 1971 war of liberation when the country claimed independence from Pakistan.
India and Bangladesh share a long standing cooperation in area of defence. While India trains its Gentlemen Cadets, the two countries have also organised joint training and exercises in the last few years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand