Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh on Bangladesh visit
New Delhi: Aiming to strengthen bilateral military ties with Bangladesh, Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh is on a four-day visit to Bangladesh.
"During the visit, Gen Singh is scheduled to interact with various high level political and military dignitaries of Bangladesh including its President, Prime Minister, all three Service Chiefs and other dignitaries," Army officials said here on Tuesday.
The visit assumes significance in the light of improving military cooperation between the two countries in consonance with India`s growing relationship with Bangladesh, they added.
Gen Singh had visited Dhaka earlier in February 2011 when he was heading the Eastern Army Command.
"He has also played a major role in organising the visits of Mukti Jodhas (liberation fighters) for furtherance of the excellent bilateral relations that exist between both the countries," the officials said.
A delegation of Bangladeshi freedom fighters had visited India last year to celebrate the 40th year of 1971 war of liberation when the country claimed independence from Pakistan.
India and Bangladesh share a long standing cooperation in area of defence. While India trains its Gentlemen Cadets, the two countries have also organised joint training and exercises in the last few years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere