Arvind Kejriwal hand-in-glove with power companies: Congress
New Delhi: Accusing Arvind Kejriwal of being "hand-in-glove" with power distribution companies, Congress on Saturday said the Chief Minister was "fully responsible" for power tariff hike and had "betrayed" the trust of the people.
Demanding roll back of the hike, Congress leader Haroon Yusuf claimed Kejriwal knew "in advance" that tariff was to be hiked by the discoms as there is a process by which DERC formally informs the chief secretary and power secretary 8-10 days before hiking rates.
"We refute Kejriwal`s claim that he didn`t know about power companies raising tariff. Power distribution companies, in a letter to the government, had explained the difficulties they were facing and warned that there would be power cuts lasting 8-10 hours," Yusuf told a press conference here.
The former power minister also alleged that such a situation was being created deliberately so that power tariff could be hiked in future.
Congress leader Mukesh Sharma said, "We now ask the Delhi CM whether he would sit on dharna outside DERC office like he had sat on dharna outside Rail Bhawan demanding suspension of some police personnel."
Sharma said the previous Congress-led government had provided 24-hour power supply to the residents in its tenure.
Party leaders demanded roll back of the tariff hike.
"If power tariff is not reduced by half without subsidy, Congress workers will come out on the streets and launch a series of protest against the AAP government. Students` exam are about to come. If power cuts continue, how will our children prepare for exams? The party cannot bear this," Yusuf said.
Power tariff in the national capital was yesterday hiked by up to eight per cent by the Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission, which was strongly condemned by the Arvind Kejriwal government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister