Arvind Kejriwal hand-in-glove with power companies: Congress
New Delhi: Accusing Arvind Kejriwal of being "hand-in-glove" with power distribution companies, Congress on Saturday said the Chief Minister was "fully responsible" for power tariff hike and had "betrayed" the trust of the people.
Demanding roll back of the hike, Congress leader Haroon Yusuf claimed Kejriwal knew "in advance" that tariff was to be hiked by the discoms as there is a process by which DERC formally informs the chief secretary and power secretary 8-10 days before hiking rates.
"We refute Kejriwal`s claim that he didn`t know about power companies raising tariff. Power distribution companies, in a letter to the government, had explained the difficulties they were facing and warned that there would be power cuts lasting 8-10 hours," Yusuf told a press conference here.
The former power minister also alleged that such a situation was being created deliberately so that power tariff could be hiked in future.
Congress leader Mukesh Sharma said, "We now ask the Delhi CM whether he would sit on dharna outside DERC office like he had sat on dharna outside Rail Bhawan demanding suspension of some police personnel."
Sharma said the previous Congress-led government had provided 24-hour power supply to the residents in its tenure.
Party leaders demanded roll back of the tariff hike.
"If power tariff is not reduced by half without subsidy, Congress workers will come out on the streets and launch a series of protest against the AAP government. Students` exam are about to come. If power cuts continue, how will our children prepare for exams? The party cannot bear this," Yusuf said.
Power tariff in the national capital was yesterday hiked by up to eight per cent by the Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission, which was strongly condemned by the Arvind Kejriwal government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre