Arvind Kejriwal slams Lt Guv for not dissolving Delhi Assembly
New Delhi: Lashing out at Lt Governor Najeeb Jung for not recommending dissolution of the House as per the Cabinet`s decision, Arvind Kejriwal, who resigned as Delhi Chief Minister yesterday, said that he was "openly flouting" the decisions taken by a majority government.
"I am questioning the logic of his decision (of not recommending dissolution of the House)," Kejriwal said, adding that the constitution says that he is bound by the decision taken by the Cabinet of a majority government.
"He did not agree to many of our decisions. Our Cabinet took a decision of having this session outside the House. Even he did not agree to that. He was openly flouting the constitution and I don`t know why," he told news channels.
In his resignation letter yesterday, Kejriwal had recommended Jung to dissolve the House and conduct fresh elections.
In his letter to President today, sources said the Lt Governor has sent a "factual report" on the situation in the national capital and has not mentioned whether national capital should be put under a spell of central rule or dissolve the House for holding elections along with Lok Sabha polls.
"Aam aadmi Party (AAP) also wants this and even the BJP has favoured re-election today. I dont know on what basis Najeeb Jung has taken this decision.
"This decision is completely wrong because any recommendation by an elected government is normally binding (on the Lt Governor)," Kejriwal said.
He claimed that the decision to recommend dissolution of the House was of a majority government.
"Ours was not a minority government. Before resignation, we had got passed a Money bill in the assembly. This means ours was a majority government.
"If a majority government recommends something then it is mandatory for the Governor to accept the recommendations," he added.
He alleged that the decision was taken because the Congress did not want fresh elections. However, when asked whether the Lt Governor was acting at the behest of the Congress, he denied it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH