Arvind Kejriwal`s fast against tariff hikes enters day 3
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Arvind Kejriwal`s indefinite hunger strike to protest increased power and water bills in Delhi entered the third day on Monday.
On Sunday, Kejriwal`s party claimed that more than 36,000 people signed up for its Civil Disobedience Movement.
In a statement issued here, the party claimed 36,743 citizens of Delhi promised not to pay power and water bills.
"They have joined Aam Aadmi Party`s Civil Disobedience and have boldly given in writing they will no longer pay these bills," the statement said.
"In order to take the fear out of the minds and hearts of the people and to unite them, I`m sitting on an indefinite fast. This time, we are not demanding anything from the government. My appeal is directly to the people of Delhi," Kejriwal said.
Kejriwal began his fast on March 23 at a house in Sunder Nagri in East Delhi. He said the house owner had to borrow money to pay his water and electric bills.
He said if most of the people stopped paying the bills, no government would have the courage to disconnect anyone`s power supply.
On Friday, Kejriwal told reporters that the time had come to motivate people against the "illegal rise" in taxes.
AAP members will also protest in 264 wards across the city and launch door-to-door campaign, asking people not to pay bills according to the increased tariff.
Kejriwal alleged that Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had colluded with power and water companies and illegally increased the tariff.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?