Arvind Kejriwal`s fast against tariff hikes enters day 3
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Arvind Kejriwal`s indefinite hunger strike to protest increased power and water bills in Delhi entered the third day on Monday.
On Sunday, Kejriwal`s party claimed that more than 36,000 people signed up for its Civil Disobedience Movement.
In a statement issued here, the party claimed 36,743 citizens of Delhi promised not to pay power and water bills.
"They have joined Aam Aadmi Party`s Civil Disobedience and have boldly given in writing they will no longer pay these bills," the statement said.
"In order to take the fear out of the minds and hearts of the people and to unite them, I`m sitting on an indefinite fast. This time, we are not demanding anything from the government. My appeal is directly to the people of Delhi," Kejriwal said.
Kejriwal began his fast on March 23 at a house in Sunder Nagri in East Delhi. He said the house owner had to borrow money to pay his water and electric bills.
He said if most of the people stopped paying the bills, no government would have the courage to disconnect anyone`s power supply.
On Friday, Kejriwal told reporters that the time had come to motivate people against the "illegal rise" in taxes.
AAP members will also protest in 264 wards across the city and launch door-to-door campaign, asking people not to pay bills according to the increased tariff.
Kejriwal alleged that Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had colluded with power and water companies and illegally increased the tariff.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez