Arvind Kejriwal`s fast against tariff hikes enters day 3
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Arvind Kejriwal`s indefinite hunger strike to protest increased power and water bills in Delhi entered the third day on Monday.
On Sunday, Kejriwal`s party claimed that more than 36,000 people signed up for its Civil Disobedience Movement.
In a statement issued here, the party claimed 36,743 citizens of Delhi promised not to pay power and water bills.
"They have joined Aam Aadmi Party`s Civil Disobedience and have boldly given in writing they will no longer pay these bills," the statement said.
"In order to take the fear out of the minds and hearts of the people and to unite them, I`m sitting on an indefinite fast. This time, we are not demanding anything from the government. My appeal is directly to the people of Delhi," Kejriwal said.
Kejriwal began his fast on March 23 at a house in Sunder Nagri in East Delhi. He said the house owner had to borrow money to pay his water and electric bills.
He said if most of the people stopped paying the bills, no government would have the courage to disconnect anyone`s power supply.
On Friday, Kejriwal told reporters that the time had come to motivate people against the "illegal rise" in taxes.
AAP members will also protest in 264 wards across the city and launch door-to-door campaign, asking people not to pay bills according to the increased tariff.
Kejriwal alleged that Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had colluded with power and water companies and illegally increased the tariff.
(With Agency inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan