Auto strike called off in the afternoon in Delhi
New Delhi: Commuters in various parts of the national Capital had to face problems to find an autorickshaw on roads till afternoon as a section of drivers went on strike in favour of their demands.
However, representatives of Delhi Autorickshaw Sangh, which had called the one-day strike against alleged highhandedness of traffic police, agreed to run vehicles around 1 PM after an assurance from senior police officials.
In morning, commuters in various parts of the national capital faced difficulty to find autorickshaws.
""I got late for office as I did not get any auto. Hiring an auto became difficult task for me," Subhash Pandey, a commuter.
"We decided to call off our one-day strike midway after senior traffic police officials assured us that traffic cops would not prevent drivers from taking passengers from Railway stations and Metro stations. They have also assured that traffic cops will not challan drivers by posing as passengers," Delhi Autorickshaw Sangh general secretary Rajendra Soni said.
Soni said that they were also promised by Delhi Traffic Police that a driver, who is going home in the evening and has put up a board of "No service" in front of his vehicle, would also not be challaned.
"After getting assurance, we announced to call off strike around 12.30 PM today and asked auto drivers to run their vehicles," he added.
Earlier in day, Several auto-rickshaw drivers associated with Delhi Autorickshaw Sangh held a protest march from Bal Bhawan to Ram Charan Agarwal Chowk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt