Auto strike called off in the afternoon in Delhi
New Delhi: Commuters in various parts of the national Capital had to face problems to find an autorickshaw on roads till afternoon as a section of drivers went on strike in favour of their demands.
However, representatives of Delhi Autorickshaw Sangh, which had called the one-day strike against alleged highhandedness of traffic police, agreed to run vehicles around 1 PM after an assurance from senior police officials.
In morning, commuters in various parts of the national capital faced difficulty to find autorickshaws.
""I got late for office as I did not get any auto. Hiring an auto became difficult task for me," Subhash Pandey, a commuter.
"We decided to call off our one-day strike midway after senior traffic police officials assured us that traffic cops would not prevent drivers from taking passengers from Railway stations and Metro stations. They have also assured that traffic cops will not challan drivers by posing as passengers," Delhi Autorickshaw Sangh general secretary Rajendra Soni said.
Soni said that they were also promised by Delhi Traffic Police that a driver, who is going home in the evening and has put up a board of "No service" in front of his vehicle, would also not be challaned.
"After getting assurance, we announced to call off strike around 12.30 PM today and asked auto drivers to run their vehicles," he added.
Earlier in day, Several auto-rickshaw drivers associated with Delhi Autorickshaw Sangh held a protest march from Bal Bhawan to Ram Charan Agarwal Chowk.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know